You can create a new account that will be managed by an Advisor or Broker and that will be linked to your existing account.
The following rules apply to this type of linking:
- You will have two linked accounts that you can access using a single username and password. One account will be managed by an Advisor or Broker.
- Trading permissions for your existing account will also apply to the new Advisor- or Broker-managed account, but any permission to which the Advisor or Broker is not entitled will be removed.
- The Advisor or Broker will not be able to enable trading for me in the accounts he or she manages, and you will still be able to trade in your existing standalone account.
- Once your account has been linked, fees may be debited from your account as specified by the Advisor or Broker.
- The selected Advisor or Broker must approve your link request and the new linked account will be open by 6:00 PM on the same business day.
- Note that if you submit a request for a new linked account after 4:00 PM, the account will be open by 6:00 PM on the next business day.
Click the User menu (head and shoulders icon in the top right corner) > Settings > Account Configuration > Manage Account Linking.
Select Create a New Linked Account That Will be Managed by an Advisor/Broker, and then click Continue.
Enter the account ID and title of the Advisor or Broker account to which you want to link in the fields provided.
Type your signature in the field provided in each of the agreements that appear. Click I Agree after signing each agreement.
An email will be sent to the Advisor or Broker to inform him or her of your request. The Advisor or Broker must approve your request (in Pending Items) before you new linked account is open.
You can also create a new linked account to an Advisor or Broker from the Advisor or Broker Marketplaces, both part of the Investors' Marketplace.
You can use Investors' Marketplace to identify the Advisor or Broker, and then can access the Create, Move, Link or Partition an Account screen from the Marketplace.
- Use the Investors Marketplace to search for and select an Advisor or Broker.
- Click the More Info followed by selecting Link button in the individual Advisor or Broker listing.
- Click Create a New Linked Account That Will be Managed by an Advisor/Broker
- Enter the Account ID and Account Title of the Advisor or Broker account to which you want to link in the fields provided. Since you already selected the Advisor or Broker in the Investors' Marketplace, these fields will be filled in already.
- Click Continue.
- Sign each of the two required agreements and click I Agreeafter signing each one.
- An email will be sent to the Advisor or Broker to inform him or her of your request. The Advisor or Broker must approve your request (in Pending Items) before your new linked account is open.
Interactive Brokers allows existing accounts to request their full account be 'linked' to a Friends Advisor, Non-Professional Advisor, a Professional Financial Advisor or a Fully Disclosed Introducing Broker. These linkages include all cash and positions and are available to accounts which are not currently Advisor or Broker clients. There are a number of checks which are performed which may prevent the linking of an account, such as, but not limited to, trading permission incompatibilities between the Advisor or Broker Master and the client account, commission schedule1 differences, etc.
Accounts which are configured with an unbundled commission schedule will not be allowed to link to an Advisor or Broker account, unless the commission schedule is changed to bundled. In the Advisor and Broker account structures, commission schedules cannot be defined for client accounts. If not properly configured at the master level, changing your commission schedule to bundled may result in higher commission charges.
Note: IBKR will process accepted requests at approximately 3:00 p.m. every Friday.
For those clients which have an attached or additional account, in order to move under an Advisor, you must first open a new account directly under the Advisor, which duplicates the existing account. It is important to ensure that all aspects of the new account (account titles, tax IDs, trading permissions, etc.) match the existing account exactly. Client accounts can be created by the Advisor through Advisor Portal (click here for detail). Once the new account has been approved, clients will be able to log into Client Portal and select the Internal Transfer option as the Transfer Method in the Transfer Positions section of Transfer & Pay. Please keep in mind the following:
The Advisor Master account is only a shell account that is used to place trades on behalf of Advisor Client accounts.
The Advisor Master account cannot hold positions.
In order to trade, you must allocate trades to an Advisor Client account.
Internal Transfers are processed on a daily basis, with the exception of US option expiration Friday.
The new account should be allowed to close positions on the first day of transfer but will not be allowed to open positions as the new account will not have a previous day Equity With Loan value.